Spinach Pesto Pizza
This Spinach Pesto Pizza offers double the Spinach with a garlicky spinach-pecan pesto.
Option: Replace spinach with Kale (but spinach has always been my jam over Kale)
4 oz grilled chicken (I added this for some protein)
2 cups Spinach, washed and de-stemmed
1/2 cup pecans
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves roasted garlic or regular garlic cloves
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 whole wheat pizza dough, gluten free or otherwise
1 1/2 – 2 cups mozzarella cheese, low fat
1 large tomato, sliced
1 cup of roughly chopped Spinach, washed and stems removed
2 teaspoons olive oil
crushed red peppers
- Add spinach and nuts to a food processor or high speed blender and pulse until combined, scraping down the sides after a each pulses, for about 2 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, roasted garlic, salt and pepper next and continue to pulse until combined, for about 2-3 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees.
- Place the pizza on a pizza stone (preferred) or baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- On the pizza dough, spread the spinach pesto over the pizza. You may have extra, which you can put on anything from sandwiches, to flatbreads to pastas.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese, the tomato slices, grilled chicken, and then the chopped spinach. They can overlap the edges of the crust if you'd like, or you can leave it bare for a solid crust edge.
- Drizzle olive oil over the top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, until cheese is bubbling, and the dough is ready. Check to ensure it isn't burning after the 8 minute mark.
- Remove, let cool slightly, and enjoy!
Recipe and photo Cred: jessicainthekitchen.com